vCommander leverages third-party solutions like Datadog for real-time performance monitoring, dashboards and alerting. Although vCommander itself retrieves and displays native performance metrics from the underlying clouds/hypervisors, for deep performance analysis, we recommend third-party solutions.
This article shows you how to display data from Datadog for VMs in the Service Portal.
- Install Datadog Agents on your VMs by following the procedure in Basic Agents Usage.
- Create a Datadog dashboard with the desired metrics.
- In the upper-right corner, click the gear and then Configure sharing.
- Copy the Public URL for later use.
- You will use this URL in two parts in a later step:
- Base URL https://p.datadoghq.com/sb/
- Dashboard ID ee3780032-b1888b8aeca27a55e25a58109c261a92
- In vCommander, create a Text-type custom attribute named Datadog Performance that applies to Services.
- Disable Edit in Service Portal.
- Click Next and keep the default setting, Free Form, and click Finish.
- On the VM that the dashboard applies to, set the custom attribute value to the Dashboard ID. For example:
- In vCommander, go to Configuration > System Configuration > Service Portal > Custom External Information for VMs.
- Set the URL to the Base URL plus the custom attribute variable. For example:
- Log in to the Service Portal and click the name of the VM in the VMs and Services widget.
- Scroll down and expand the Datadog Performance panel.