Files for this Scenario
|7.0.1||Download from GitHub|
Kubernetes is an open-source system for deploying and managing containerized applications within a hybrid or cloud environment. Using the Embotics vCommander cloud management platform, you can deploy applications into Kubernetes clusters.
This guide shows you how to use vCommander 7.0+ to deploy a new application into an existing Kubernetes cluster. The requester provides input in the form of a Kubernetes manifest file. An optional approval workflow can be added to check the files before deploying.
Note: The READ.ME file packaged with the Kubernetes workflow plug-in step package documents important limitations to consider when uploading your own manifest file.
This guide is intended for systems administrators, engineers and IT professionals. Previous experience with Kubernetes is required.
Before you begin, you must add a Kubernetes cluster as a managed system. You can do this in one of two ways:
- Add an existing Kubernetes cluster as a vCommander managed system. See Adding a Kubernetes Managed System.
- Create a new Kubernetes cluster through vCommander and have it automatically added as a vCommander managed system. To learn how, search for "Kubernetes" in this Knowledge Base and choose the article for your preferred platform for deploying Kubernetes clusters.
Install the plug-in step package
- Go to the Embotics GitHub repository located at https://github.com/Embotics/Plug-in-Workflow-Steps and download the Kubernetes workflow plug-in step package, wfplugins-k8s.jar.
- Install the workflow plug-in step package. To learn how, see Adding Workflow Plug-In Steps.
Import the completion workflows
- Go to the Embotics GitHub repository located at https://github.com/Embotics/Scenarios and download the Deploy_on_K8s completion workflow definition.
- In vCommander, go to Configuration > Completion Workflows and click Import.
- Browse to the .yaml or .json file you downloaded and click Open.
- vCommander automatically validates the workflow. Click Import.
To learn more, see Importing and Exporting Workflows.
Configure the change request form
- Create a change request form called “Deploy K8s App”.
- From the Completion Workflow list, select Deploy on K8s.
- Click OK.
- In the Toolbox, click Input Text Field.
- For Display Label, enter “Namespace”.
Note: If a namespace is specified, it must already exist when the completion workflow runs. If no namespace is specified, vCommander checks the manifest file for the namespace; if the manifest doesn’t specify a namespace, the Default namespace is used. Therefore, you may want to disable the Required checkbox for the Input Text Field form element.
- In the Toolbox, click File Upload.
- For Display Label, enter “Manifest” and enable the Required checkbox.
- Remove unneeded form elements.
- Click Save.
Submit a change request
- In vCommander or the Service Portal, select a Kubernetes managed system and run the Request Change command.
- In the Select Change Request dialog, click Deploy K8s App.
- Complete the request form by entering a Namespace, browsing to a manifest file, and clicking OK.
The chosen application is installed on the selected Kubernetes cluster.