During the course of investigating a technical support issue for Embotics® vCommander®, the need may arise to restore your Microsoft SQL database. To do so, you will use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. If you did not install this when you installed SQL, you can install it from the original source.
Alternatively, you can download Management Studio Express, and use it to run the queries.
Connecting to Your Database
Follow the procedure below to connect to your Embotics® vCommander® database.
- Login to a computer where SQL Server Management Studio is installed.
- Launch SQL Management Studio from the Start menu.
- Choose Database Engine as the Server type, choose the correct Server Name from the list or browse for the correct server.
If your user account has rights to access the database, leave Authentication as Windows Authentication. Otherwise, switch it to SQL Server Authentication and enter the User name and Password for a SQL account with rights to access the database. If you are not sure which account to use, you can confirm what’s being used by Embotics vCommander by opening the vCommander Control Panel.
- Click Connect.
Restoring the Database
Now that you are connected, you can proceed with restoring the database. Before you begin the next procedure, make sure that you have access to as much disk space as is required for the backup file.
- If Embotics vCommander is currently running, you will need to stop the service before you can complete the restore. To do so, issue the command services.msc from the Start menu on the Embotics vCommander application server.
- From the list of services, right-click vCommander and click Stop.
- Back in SQL Management Studio, right-click your vCommander database and choose Tasks > Restore > Database….
- The Restore Database dialog opens. On the General page, choose From device and click
- The Specify Backup dialog opens. Click Add.
- Browse to and select the backup file. Click OK.
- Back in the Restore Database dialog, confirm that the To database: and To a point in time: settings suit your needs and select the checkbox for the backup set you want to restore.
- Switch to the Option page. Check Overwrite the existing database (WITH REPLACE) and click OK.
- When backing up a database to provide to Embotics technical support, the default options are sufficient. Note the location where the backup file will be created, listed under the Destination section, and click OK.
- Click OK when the restore completes.