During the course of investigating a technical support issue for Embotics vCommander, the need may arise to backup your PostgreSQL database. A management utility for the database, called pgAdmin, is installed along with Embotics vCommander so that you can operate directly against your database.
Connecting to your Database
Follow the procedure below to connect to your Embotics vCommander database.
- Login to the Embotics vCommander application server and browse to <INSTALL_DIRECTORY>\Embotics\vCommander\pgsql\bin and execute pgAdmin3.
- From the File menu, choose Add Server.
- In the New Server Registration dialog, enter localhost in the Name and Host fields.
- Enter vlmuser in the Username field.
- Enter vlmpasswd in the Password field.
- Click OK.
- Expand Server Groups > Servers > localhost > Databases. An X appears beside the vlm database, indicating you are not currently connected.
- Select the vlm database. A connection is established.
Performing the Backup
Now that you are connected, you can proceed with performing the backup. Before you begin the next procedure, make sure that you have access to as much disk space as is required for the backup file.
- Right-click the vlm database and choose Backup.
- On the next dialog, click the ellipsis (…) and choose a filename and location to store your database backup.
- For Format, select Custom.
- For Rolename, choose vlmuser.
- Click Backup.