When you first install Embotics® vCommander®, the installer configures it for secure access using a self-signed secure sockets layer (SSL) certificate. As with security certificates provided by certificate authorities, the self-signed certificate validates the identity of the server. Unlike certificates provided by certificate authorities, self-signed ones are not automatically trusted by computers accessing Embotics® vCommander®. The best solution for this problem is to use a certificate provided by a certificate authority.
If this is not possible, users can choose to install the certificates so they do not receive repeated warnings about the site. To do so, follow the procedures provided below for the relevant web browser, or consult the browser vendor's documentation.
Note that as of version 58, Google Chrome requires the use of subject alternative names rather than common names for any certificate to function correctly with the browser. As of vCommander 5.7.9, the self-signed certificate is not generated with subject alternative names, but Embotics plans to include them in a future release.
When you access Embotics vCommander using Firefox for the first time, you will be warned that the connection is untrusted.
- Expand I Understand the Risks.
- Click Add Exception.
- Check Permanently store this exception.
- Click Confirm Security Exception.
When you access Embotics vCommander using Internet Explorer for the first time, you will be warned that there is a problem with the website’s security certificate.
- Click Continue to this website (not recommended).
- In the address bar, click the red shield beside Certificate error.
- Click View Certificates. The Certificates dialog opens.
- On the General tab, click Install Certificate….
- The Certificate Import Wizard opens. Click Next.
- Choose Place all certificates in the following store and click Browse…
- In the Select Certificate Store dialog, check Show Physical Stores.
- Expand Trusted Root Certification Authorities and choose Local Computer.
- Click OK.
- Click Next, then Finish.
- Click OK.