Embotics vCommander provides you with an unprecedented ability to use
the data collected to gain insight into what is actually occurring in
your environment. This is done by creating and scheduling saved searches
to regularly provide data points on operational details.
This article describes using saved searched to evaluate how much of your resources are consumed by specified applications.
Creating a Saved Search
- Login to vCommander and under the Tools menu, choose Search.
- Click VMs on the Help Me Find chooser.
- If you want the search to operate at a specific location, click Otherwise, leave it at Global to search your entire infrastructure.
- Choose to Filter By [Guest OS Details > Applications] [contains] ( [Name] [contains] )and add a string that will only appear in the name of the application you’re interested in. For example, SQL.
- Click Search.
- On the Results tab, verify that only the applications you wish to evaluate are appearing, returning to the Search tab to refine your filter as necessary.
When only the desired applications appear on the Results tab, proceed to the next section.
Adding Columns to the Results
With the search locating the VMs that you want to evaluate, adding extra columns to put more data in front of you is easy.
- Right-click any line on the Results tab and choose Pick Columns.
- Use the controls to add columns relevant for the performance data points you are measuring. For example, CPU Usage Daily Avg (%) and Memory Consumed Daily Avg (%) are good choices.
- Click OK.
- Click Save Search.
- Provide a meaningful Name and choose an appropriate category, such as Capacity & Performance.
- Click OK.
Scheduling the Saved Search
This kind of data is useful delivered at a regular interval to all administrators of the environment. When scheduling a saved search to be delivered by email, additional options to summarize the data are available.
- From the Results tab, click Schedule.
- Provide a meaningful Name and choose an appropriate category, such as Capacity & Performance. Click Next.
- Enter the primary recipient’s email in the To: field, and additional recipients’ emails in the CC: field.
- Enter a meaningful Subject and any content that you wish to appear in the Body of the email.
- Enable each checkbox and click Next.
- Enable checkboxes to Add a row with the total for suitable columns and/or Add a row with the average for suitable columns as per your preference.
- Enable checkboxes to display aggregate values At the top of the results and/or At the bottom of the results, as per your preference. Click Next.
- Use the Frequency and Recurrence controls to schedule how often the saved search is delivered. Click Next.
- Click Finish.