Using Embotics® vCommander® it is easy to configure policies that notify users when a VM is about to expire, and allow them to request an extension of the expiry date. However, there is no predefined report or public search that allows you to track the extension activity. This article describes how to create and schedule a saved search so this data is available to you and other decision-makers who need it.
Creating the Saved Search
Follow the procedure below to create a saved search that will track expiry extension activity for your users.
- Under the Tools menu, click Search.
- Click Events beside Help Me Find.
- Click beside Location to choose where in the Operational, VM and Templates or Datastore views the search will run.
- Choose to Filter By:
- Type > equals > Expiry Extension
- Severity > is > Info
- Click Search.
- On the Results tab, click Save Search.
- Enter Expiry Extensions as the Name and choose the Lifecycle Management as the Solution Category.
- Click OK.
Scheduling the Saved Search
Using a scheduled task in Embotics vCommander, the saved search can be run on a regular schedule, with the results sent by email to a list of recipients you specify. Follow the procedure below to create this scheduled task.
- Under the Tools menu, click Scheduled Tasks.
- Click Add.
- Select the Saved Search radio button. Click Next.
- Select Expiry Extensions from the Saved Search pull-down list.
- Fill out the Email Report section with choices to suit your preferences. Note that choosing to Attach report as CSV will allow you to manipulate the data more easily once received. Click Next.
- Do not check anything on the Results Details page. Click Next.
- On the Scheduling page, check Enabled and use the Frequency and Recurrence controls to define the delivery schedule. Click Next.
- Click Finish.